27 April 2006

Got a really interesting postcard in the mail recently from a good friend in Europe. I love seeing creepy royal families in full colour. Thanks Sev! :-)


========

The saga with my family is hilarious. I've got an uncle in rehab, a cousin snorting crystal meth, and the cousin just had a wreck. He was sent by ambulance to the hospital and got all pissy with the doctor or whatever and was sent to jail. This is a guy that has a degree from a nice college. Yet somehow he's wearing wifebeaters and has long hair. He's friggin living a Drive-by Truckers song now.

========

I saw a rattlesnake yesterday. A friend and I stopped and there was a conveniently-place stick on the ground near it. We used it to prod and harrass the viper until it scurried off. Before we could try and pick it up by the tail (damn you steve irwin!) it went into the S position. (Pronounce it "Oi! Naaaooo! Eeet's een thih ESSS piss-ishin!") Started rattling like the end was near.


So we left it alone and continued to listen to Manowar, whom I take very seriously as a band now. Any band with an album cover like what you see here must be taken extremely seriously. They are brothers of steel and constantly talk about stuff like Thor, thundering horses, and galloping into a victorious battle for metal. It's the greatest thing. EVER.










=============

I hate talking about me and health stuff, but I can't get my wrist to get well. I finally found a doctor that didn't herd me through an urgent care-type facility and actually stopped to talk to me for a few minutes. He figured out what's going on...

On top of the embryonic-stage carpal tunnel, I tore a friggin ligament in my wrist when I was working on that damned water heater. He told me it's just going to take a long time for it to heal. And as for the carpal tunnel, he scared me poopless with the description of a nerve coduction test and what it entails:

Nerve conduction test / NCS

The patient will be asked to lie on an examination table. Electrodes are placed on the skin over the nerve to be studied. These electrodes act as microphones to pick up any electrical signal that goes by them.

An electrical stimulator is then placed on the skin near the electrodes and is used to create an electrical current strong enough to fully stimulate the nerve.

A computer is used to record responses as various nerves are tested. This allows the physician to measure and calculate how fast the nerve is sending the impulses to the muscle and measure the size of the impulse.

EMG

The muscles are assessed by inserting a pin electrode into the muscle with the computer then recording the muscle response both at rest and with movement. The sensation is similar to that of being stuck by a pin as the electrode is inserted into the muscle. (That is if sensory awareness is not a problem.)

It is important for the patient to stay as calm as possible to reduce discomfort and to achieve accurate readings. (You may bring a pacifier or bottle to help soothe an infant).



Umm. Did you read that far? Needles? Pin electrode? We had a saying in high school when something was not no, but 'HELL NO'. It was to simply sing the word "NAAAAWWWWW". And in this case, I'm screaming it ad nauseam.

Manowar is like the greatest ever.

I leave you with the lyrics to "Thor":


Black clouds on the horizon
Great thunder and burning rain
His chariot pounding,
I heard the heavens scream his name

I watched as he shouted
To the giants that died that day
He hehd up his hammer high
And called to Odin for a sign
Thor the mighty, Thor the brave
Crush the infidels in your way
By your hammer let none be saved
Live to die on that final day
Gods, Monsters and Men
We'll die together in the end

God of thunder, god of rain
Earth shaker who feels no pain
The powerhead of the Universe
Now send your never ending curse

Swing your hammer to crack the sky
Lift your cape so that you might fly
Back to Odin and the Gods on High
And leave this mortal world



Hell. Yes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Teutonic rock. You'll be listening to Mayhem and other Norwegian black metalists next.